A new year with a sweet start!
For all that we have to be grateful in 2022 (the passing of Covid, a chance to narrate our story, a full house a week before Diwali and many other numerous milestones), we finally look forward to ringing in 2023! And what better way to celebrate the new year than to start on a sweet note with some good old apple crumble?
Shiva & Saumya from the Open Art Project share with us this wonderful recipe to start the year on a sweet note.
For the Crumble
1 Cup Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Chopped Almonds and Walnuts
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Jaggery/ Cane Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
For the Apple Filling
2 Cups Apple Cored and Diced (You can peel if you like)
4 Tbsp of Cane Sugar
Spoonful of Butter
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Cinnamon
Squeeze of 2 Lemons
- Throw in all the ingredients for the apple filling except the lemon juice. Place on low heat till it all comes together. Cook till slightly tender and not all the way through.
- Let it cool completely. Now add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°F for 15 minutes.
- Add the jaggery or cane sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon and oatmeal in a bowl and mix with your hands till you get a rough texture.
- Add other spices, lemon, orange or herbs like thyme, and marjoram for added flavours if you like.
- In a baking dish, layer all the apples, spoon the crumble lightly, and do not press to allow it to remain light and fluffed.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 180°F till the top turns golden brown.
- Serve warm with some date syrup if you like!
Enjoy and do tag us if you make this at home 🤍
Also, not forgetting, a very Happy New Year from ours to yours!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published